Thursday, February 9, 2012

inspiration: That Thing You Do.


Mmm I absolutely love the fashion in this film. And Liv Tyler's hair! It's honestly a constant inspiration to me. The barrettes, the headbands, the beehive, the simple ponytails! Epic. I also love her tailored pants and adorable sweaters. She rocks a few gorgeous vintage dresses, but overall it's that casual 50's style I just adore.

HOWEVER in terms of the content of the film, I find her character to be super problematic. She pretty much follows the band around for the entire film, performing the merely decorative and limiting role of the "supportive girlfriend". Not once are any of her passions, aspirations or interests articulated. After finally realizing how it much of a waste of time the whole thing was, rather than gaining some valuable self-knowledge and independence, she's swept up and "rescued" by yet another man. Ugh. Then in the "where are they now"-type epilogue her character's career isn't even mentioned, only that she got married! :S Whereas all the guys are either musicians, soldiers, businessmen... I mean come on Tom Hanks. She would have been growing up during the freaking Women's Lib Movement! Throw me a bone here. So aside from some questionable gender roles, this film is worth a watch if only for the amazing fashion and insanely catchy music.

Hopefully I'll be getting some outfit posts up on the blog soon! School has begun to take over again... yay for Spring Break next week!

xoxo.

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, I remember going to see that film in theatres when it came out...I think I was maybe 10? I *loved* it so much, I think I even bought the soundtrack. As an adult...well. You're right; the message is certainly lacking, to say the least!

    xo
    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO WAY I WATCHED THIS LAST NIGHT ON NETFLIX

    I totally get what you mean about her character. Tom Hanks taught me that your value as a woman to a successful male musician can be determined by how attractive, non-complex and meek you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh! What a great post. Her character in this movie fashion-wise, is soooo inspirational. Beautiful post! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I oh so love Liv Tyler..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the look of her outfits but it's disappointing to hear her character is so rubbish!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...